Tennesse car accidents with uninsured driversEach state has a minimum requirement for car insurance. In Tennessee, the minimum is $25,000/$50,000 for bodily injury liability and $15,000 for property damage liability. Even though it’s illegal to drive without insurance, according to the Insurance Research Council, more than 14 percent of U.S. drivers are uninsured. If you’ve been involved in an accident caused by another driver, you are entitled to claim damages for medical expenses and repairs to your vehicle. But what happens if the other driver is underinsured or has no insurance at all?

Steps to Take

If the other driver in your car accident is uninsured and you do not have uninsured motorist coverage, your only recourse to claim compensation is to sue that driver. In order to do this, you need to obtain a variety of important information that documents the accident, including:

  • Photographs. Take as many pictures as you can of the damage and the positions of the cars. Make sure you include the scene with both cars, the location, time, and the plates of the other vehicle. This documentation will help prove that the accident took place.
  • Details. Write down the make, model, and color of the other car. If the other driver has refused to give you his personal information, or there is a language barrier, note any details you can remember about him.
  • Location. Make note of the exact location of the accident, so you can give the police specific details. You may also wish to track any security footage in the vicinity from the time of the accident.
  • Witnesses. Write down the contact details of everyone who witnessed the accident. Your attorney may need to use their affidavits later during your court hearing.

The most important thing to remember if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver is to call the police. Even if the damage appears minimal, you need to make a police report; there may be much more damage than you can see. Even if the other driver asks you not to call the police, you should still make that 911 call. It’s the only way you can protect yourself, your vehicle, and any future lawsuit.

Get a Free Evaluation of Your Case Now!

At GriffithLaw, we have more than a decade of experience serving people who have been the victims of traffic accidents. If you have been involved in a traffic accident with an underinsured or uninsured driver, call us at 877-959-8847, or fill out our online form to request a free, no-obligation consultation. Our Nashville car accident attorneys are ready to help you get the compensation you deserve for personal injury and damage to your vehicle.


John Griffith
Connect with me
Nashville Personal Injury Trial Attorney