As the new year approaches, people celebrate the beginning of a new chapter, which often involves drinking on New Year's Eve. Amidst the festivities, there is a sobering reality: the increased risk of drunk driving accidents. Unfortunately, some party-goers choose to get behind the wheel while intoxicated, putting themselves and others at significant risk. If you are injured in a crash caused by a drunk driver, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. Seeking the assistance of our experienced Tennessee personal injury lawyer at GriffithLaw is crucial to navigating the complex legal process ahead of you.
New Year's Eve and the Rise in Drunk Driving Accidents
New Year's Eve is notorious for witnessing a surge in DUIs and drunk driving accidents. The combination of celebrations, parties, and alcohol consumption often leads to impaired judgment and risky behavior on the roads. The consequences can be devastating, leaving innocent victims with severe injuries, emotional trauma, and overwhelming financial burdens.
Drunk driving cases have the potential for parallel criminal and civil proceedings. The criminal case is initiated by law enforcement against the drunk driver for violating Tennessee's strict DUI laws. Simultaneously, as the victim of a drunk driving accident, you may pursue a civil case seeking compensation for your injuries. The outcome of the criminal case can significantly impact the civil case, as a conviction can serve as solid evidence of the driver's negligence.
Understanding Tennessee's Dram Shop Liability
Tennessee recognizes dram shop liability, holding establishments accountable for over-serving alcohol to visibly intoxicated patrons who later cause accidents. If the drunk driver was served alcohol at an establishment, such as a bar or restaurant, prior to the New Year's Eve crash, the establishment may share liability for the damages. A skilled Tennessee personal injury lawyer will thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding the alcohol consumption to identify all responsible parties.
How GriffithLaw Can Help
Choosing the right personal injury lawyer is essential in building a strong case. At GriffithLaw, our experienced personal injury lawyer will guide you through the legal process, providing clarity and peace of mind during a challenging and stressful time.
After a New Year's Eve drunk driving accident, a personal injury lawyer becomes an essential part of the claims process, offering crucial support. A lawyer will do the following to help build a solid case:
- Gather crucial evidence. A lawyer will gather evidence, such as the drunk driver's toxicology reports, medical reports, and police reports, to build a compelling case against the intoxicated driver. In addition, they will interview eyewitnesses and review surveillance footage and photos of the scene of the drunk driving accident.
- Consult with experts. A personal injury lawyer may consult with accident reconstruction experts to recreate the New Year's Eve accident in order to determine how it happened.
- Consider dram shop laws. A lawyer will investigate whether the establishment that served the alcohol adhered to Tennessee's dram shop laws to determine if shared liability exists.
- Negotiate with insurers. Your lawyer will negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to ensure you receive fair compensation.
- Represent you in court. If the insurance company does not settle your claim, a personal injury will take your case to court and fight for the settlement you deserve.
Potential Compensation You May Recover
The compensation you may recover in a drunk driving accident case can vary based on the extent of your injuries and the circumstances of the accident. A dedicated lawyer will help you pursue personal injury damages for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages and loss of future income
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering